Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Bucket List

I don't want to make a habit of this, but I'm going to link to a post on someone else's blog.  In his blog, Neal's Notepad, Neal Cordle explains in great detail the thinking behind his "bucket list," and why he crafted it differently than the usual list of "to have's" and "to do's."  You can read his full post here.

He gleaned four questions from Bobb Biehl to expand his list from the usual litany to:
  1. Who do I want to be? 
  2. What do I want to do? 
  3. What do I want to have? 
  4. Who do I want to help? 
This is such a cool idea that I'm actually toying with the idea of breaking
into my bucket list vault.  I haven't looked at my list in a few months because I get disgusted at the vast non-accomplishment of things that I always meant and/or wanted to do.  Perhaps it's because of the inherent selfishness of the whole bucket list idea.

Anyway, I'm enamored with the thought of expanding the paradigm to include both internal (who do I want to be) and external (who do I want to help) components.  Perhaps then I will check on my progress more often, and in doing so, be able to check something off the list. 


I'm going to go out on a limb here and divulge a portion of my list.  I won't reveal much, just a couple of tidbits, as my list is so deeply personal and, try as I might, I don't do well with exposing my deep secrets to anyone (*insert Melissa Manchester song here).  It is still a very selfish "gimme" kind of list, but it is what it is ... for now.

  • Dip my feet in all five Great Lakes.
  • Spend a weekend in NYC with my old high school friends.
  • Hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail.
  • See the Grand Canyon.
  • All-inclusive vacation, just my wife and me.
  • Be completely debt-free.
Do you have a bucket list?  Does it go as far as Neal's list?  Is it accomplishment oriented, service-oriented, or both? How are you doing with it - have you checked-off anything?

3 comments:

  1. How 'bout adding, to your list *Don't be too hard on myself*? Does it need to be pointed out that you are raising 5 children, who are following you and Susan's heartfelt examples--The ripple effect of that sort of accomplishment will be world-changing, in the best way. So, I think a little self-indulgence is okay... Especially since all things come from God, right? Maybe you are being called/ led there for a reason. Who are we to say what is "selfish"? There just may be some transformative experiences waiting at that All-inclusive vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. I'm trying to look at it in a positive light, rather than in a "here-is-a-list-of-things-I-want-to-do-before-it's-too-late" light. I still think the idea is intriguing, to shift the project more inwardly and outwardly than your run of the mill B-list.

    A transformative all-inclusive experience, eh? Hmmm ... definitely worth serious consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bucket list only includes places to visit/sights to see and I only have one because there's an App for it for my Ipod Touch.

    However, this post and Neil's make me want to explore that more.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

HyperSmash.com