Monday, May 30, 2011

No More Pain!

Being married to an herbalist means having a vast collection of fresh and dried herbs that my better half mixes into rubs and tinctures (*insert "eye of newt / wing of bat" comment). These tinctures, rubs, teas, etc. are used to cure everything from insomnia to insect bites.

Her skills came in handy this morning, when I woke up unable to get out of bed and walk because
of inflamation in my lower back. At 10:00AM she rubbed arnica oil on my lower back, and an hour later I walked downstairs and cooked brunch for my family. It is now over 12 hours later, and the pain continues to diminish.

It doesn't matter what others may say; I am a living example of the healing properties of herbs.

Here is the infusion she used on my back:

Arnica Oil

6 ounces of olive oil
1/4 cup of dried Arnica flowers.
peppermint oil
lavender oil

Heat the oil and Arnica flowers in a double boiler for 2 to 3 hours over low heat, then strain the oil into a container and add a drop of peppermint and lavender oils.

NOTE: Arnica is great for reducing swelling.

(CAUTION: Arnica can cause allergic reactions in sensitive people so gloves may be needed. Do not get Arnica in an open wound or near mucus membranes as it is toxic when used internally)

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com