Wait. No. That isn't entirely true.
In certain situations and for particular reasons selfies are appropriate.
Really, it's the selfie that is taken just to draw attention to oneself that I dislike. You know the ones. The fiftieth self-shot photo this week in which the person is in the same position, same location, same duckface, different shirt.
Here are some situations in which I personally have found it acceptable to take a selfie.
1. When you are pet-sitting for a friend, and you want him/her to know the little darlin' is alive and well.
|Birdie is having a great vacation so far.|
2. When there aren't adequate words to describe a gift that was given to you by a child.
|Isaac made me a new tie for Father's Day.|
3. When you want to commemorate an accomplishment.
|We made it! Five whole miles on our bikes!|
4. When you want to capture a special moment with your son.
|Jesse and I are enjoying a hot dog and vanilla coke at Jimmy's, a place from my childhood.|
5. When you meet a former student at the ball game.
|Look who I found at the game - it's Joe!!|
Recently I was challenged by my daughter, her friends, and her friend's mom to pose for a typical selfie. I laughed at the idea, expressing my utter displeasure with the whole "selfie" idea. But then I realized that I had, in fact, taken some selfies under the above guidelines that, when taken for the right reasons, were perfectly acceptable. Anyway, they "challenged" me (they say dared, I say challenged because everyone knows I do not accept dares *cough, cough*) to post a typical teenaged bathroom selfie, wearing my best duckface, complete with the requisite toilet in the background.
So, here it is.
|A duckface, a "Duck Commander" t-shirt, and a toilet make for the perfect selfie.|