Saturday, February 11, 2012

Doctors ... What Do They Know?

The common cold.  For many people it comes a few times a year.  The sniffling, sneezing, watery eyes, post-nasal drip, and of course, the cough, cough, cough. 

My latest cold had all the earmarks of the normal affair, to a point.  The difference was in the cough.  It wouldn't quit - it just kept going and going and going ... for two weeks.

I must digress for a moment and tell you when I caught colds in the past, the doctor would invariably tell me that my ailment was viral in nature, and therefore no prescription was available to help me get better.  I always had to "wait it out" and make the best of it. 

So, you can understand my reluctance to see the doctor about my two-week old cough. 

Finally, I could take it no longer, and I went to the doctor.

Well, after a swab and a chest x-ray it was determined that I was well on my way to pneumonia.  Thankfully the infection didn't get that far.  It confined itself to the bronchial region. 

Acute bronchitis.

What does it mean?

At least 10 days of antibiotics, disgusting cough syrup (with codeine), and an inhaler.  Plus lots of rest and fluids (OK, so I got the fluid thing figured out, but I'm not so sure about the rest).

Anyway, I'm somewhat out of commission for now, but I'll spring back.  I always do.



... Later.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com