Friday, June 14, 2013

Mistofelees and Me

Mister Mistofelees.  It's probably one of the most memorable songs / scenes from the musical "Cats."  My kids and I were looking up Broadway songs on YouTube when we came across this clip from the show. 

They watched the entire song (I only posted part 1 below) I began to get tears in my eyes, so I had to walk away from the computer.  It wasn't that the song itself is so moving and emotional, it wasn't that Mistofelees shoots lightning from his fingertips (cool as that is, both on video and in person), it wasn't even the twinkling LED Christmas lights on stage (far ahead of their time).

I got lump in my throat because it brought back a memory.

About 20(ish) years I took my sister to New York to see "Cats" on Broadway.  She had never seen a Broadway show and she always wanted to see "Cats."  So I took her and Mom to see the show.  It was a great day.  We ate at Beefsteak Charlie's and took a cab to F.A.O. Schwartz to play the big floor piano. 

Sadly, that was happier time, twenty-ish years ago when we were all still friends.  Our world is a different place, and the relationships that were present on that trip are different as well.  I long for that time and those warm kinships.  But sadly it isn't easy to repair a tie so damaged over time.

That said, I get misty over things that others do not understand.  For my own reasons.  That's the way it is, and that's how it's gonna be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com