Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Desert Island CD

A few months ago, my college friend mentioned his favorite recording. He seemed more than enamored with the music; he said it was his “desert island” CD, and that if he could only have one recording to listen to for the rest of his life, that would be the one.

I became fascinated with the idea and began a quest for my own “desert island” CD. No problem, right? Wrong.

As a person who has been exposed to such a wide variety of music (in-depth exposure), I found it tremendously overwhelming to think about all the music I’ve experienced with the purpose of narrowing the list to a single album or CD. It seemed impossible, and frankly, still is a daunting task.

I have narrowed the list to a few, but I still am unable to come up with a single recording that, if necessary, would be satisfy my ear artistically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually, while also feeding my wild side, as I live out my remaining days on a desert island.

So, without further ado, here is my list thus far …

· The Stranger (Billy Joel)
· Vivaldi’s “Gloria” (Sir Neville Mariner – St Martin in the Field)
· Pure Schuur (Diane Schuur)
· Various songs from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

If I could combine these recordings into one, it would represent my “desert island” music. I’m sure there will be other songs that will sneak into my mind’s ear, and I will have to reconcile them to this list. As of this moment, however, these are they.

... Later!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com