Saturday, September 10, 2011

Flood Notes, September 10, 2011

I woke up in a cold sweat at 4AM.  I did the usual "wake up in the middle of the night" stuff ... bathroom, drink of water, check on the kids, go back to bed.  There was just one problem.  I couldn't sleep, no matter how hard I tried to empty my mind, no matter how many "happy thoughts" I thunk.  Nothing.  Nada. Just panic.  Full-blown panic. 

After the flood of '06, I made too many mistakes in the cleanup and rebuilding process.  It cost us several months of displacement and separation.  I don't want to do that again.  I want this time to be different.  Easier.  It should be easier, right?  We've been through this before.

One of the things that is plaguing my mind is the built-in bookcase in the living room.  It's about four years old, and is built over the finished floor, and partially over two insulated, outside walls.  My wife loves this bookcase.  I don't want to tear it out if it will hurt her to do so, but I don't want hidden mold to fester behind and under the thing, either.

The Traveller's Flood Insurance commercials crack me up, especially the one in which the guy is being fitted for a tailor-made suit.  It isn't really like that with flood insurance.  They come in and take pictures (*note to self - leave a piece of wall with a visible water line so the adjuster can take a picture), then three weeks later they send you a detailed report that you have to sign and return within 10 days.  Then in about two weeks you get a check for 25% of the estimate.  As the work continues, you must prove that the work is being completed, and another check arrives ... for another 25%.  And so on, and so on.   Oh, yeah, and you can't hire a contractor unless you are able to pay at least 1/2 up front.  Nice, huh?  

Anyway, that's why I wasn't able to sleep.  And that's why I'm still shaking now, at 8:25 AM.  Still shaking, still sweating, still hyperventilating.

***
10:40 ... We decided to try again today.  We'll stop at the checkpoint and ask if Weir Street is open.  If so, we're gonna start tearing out the walls.

***
11:00 ... We sat down with Jeff and Sharon for some much needed prayer and discussion time to work out logistical issues.  It's a big adjustment for all of us.  Hopefully a VERY temporary one.  Anyway, it's necessary and smart to discuss possible issues and to pray for guidance and help.

***

12:00 I went to the house.  The street was dry and and the driveway was muddy.  I went in and emptied the freezer in the kitchen, bagging and taking everything out to the curb.  Then I began prying away some molding from the entry way and some of the Pergo from the floor.  I found the Pergo very easy to remove after the initial plank is loosened. 

Some neighbors came in to assess my damage and offer words of advice. 

Some of my help was in Prattsville today, as they didn't think (nor did I) that our water would have receded so quickly.

I quickly became weary of the overwhelming task but kept working at my own inimitable pace, tearing off a molding, pulling a piece of flooring stacking and taking it outside, etc.  When I looked around at 4:30 I was amazed at how little I actually accomplished today.

Pastor Brian called to tell me he was coming to help me.  Then he called a few minutes later to tell me that he wasn't allowed in to help because he isn't a property owner.

4:20 ... I decided to stop and go to dinner at the Sidney Middle School with my family.  There was an informational meeting afterward and I wanted to be there to get info about disaster relief services, etc.

***

7:30 ... The meeting was very informative.  I asked a bunch of questions and received good answers.  I know how to register for FEMA relief, and I am VERY relieved to know that I will not have to rewire the entire house again this time. 

***

7:45 ... We took a long walk with the kids and the dog.  It was a very good night for a walk.

Church and more tear-out tomorrow.

I would like to talk to Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HyperSmash.com